Can I split a piece of property I co-own with someone if they do not want to split it?

If you own a piece of property with a co-tenant, in most situations, you have the legal right to force the split of that property. However, depending on the size of the property a court might find that the property cannot be split and a sale would be forced instead. If you are considering splitting up a property owned with another party it is suggested that you attempt to do so amicably. However, if you are unable to do so please contact our office for a free consultation on what steps you could take next to protect your interest in the property.

Can I add another person (usually a spouse or child) to a deed for my property?

Yes, you are able to do so. However, if you have a mortgage on your property, adding a new party to the deed my violate the terms of the mortgage. If you have a mortgage you should review the terms of your mortgage as well as check with your bank for any objections before you add another party to the deed.